Compared to most other pests, bed bugs are the hardest to get rid of. These tiny insects tend to hitchhike and can make their way into your home through clothes, bags, and shoes. Just like lice, bed bugs become heavy after having a meal. Many people believe that squishing a bed bug would kill it, but that may not be the case. How do you know that you have bed bugs at home? Do you need to call professional pest control? In this post, we are sharing some key answers.
Telltale signs of bed bugs
Typically, bed bugs are found in old furniture, but you can find these blood-sucking insects almost anywhere near the bed. Common signs of infestation include unexplained bloodstains on your sheets and pillowcases, bite marks on your body, and rusty spots on mattresses. You may also find eggshells and shed skin, and if you have seen these pests in daylight, things are probably worse than you think.
What can you do on your own?
As we mentioned, bed bugs are often hard to get rid of. However, you can do the following –
- Clean your sheets, pillowcases, curtains, and linens. Use hot water to soak the clothing items.
- Use a thick brush to clean mattresses and use a vacuum cleaner next.
- Use a mattress cover that’s sealed/zippered.
- Get rid of clutter in the house, especially around the bed.
Getting help from pest control companies
First things first, consider whether you are willing to take the risk of DIY pest control. While there are supermarket products that promise to get rid of bed bugs, these don’t work and may pose additional risks if you have pets and kids at home. Once you call a pest control company, they would divide their work into two steps-
- Inspection. The professionals will look around for signs of bed bugs, and if they cannot find evident signs of infestation, they may place monitoring devices.
- Treatment. The treatment for bed bugs includes several steps. The pest control company will do its job of vacuuming the possible areas of infestation. Some pesticides can be used to prevent bed bugs from returning. Heat treatments were also previously used, and if the professionals find it safe, they may consider that too.
If you need to get more info on preventing bed bugs, the pest control company is your best source for help. They can also offer a warranty on the job.